Tuesday 5 August 2014

The fascinating experience of being a self-published author.

Well, you can't beat holding that inch thick book in your hands at the end of it all, but am I sucker for the process just as much as the prize?

For me, this whole journey has been truly fascinating. I have learned so many useful things, and the first lesson I've learned (along with many others that I'll share) is this...

Lesson 1: Cognitive Blindness affects us all.

Our minds fill in the gaps in sentences. I remember after the 3rd Redraft of Mis-fit, Misplaced MSC, I was c.o.n.v.i.n.c.e.d that it was foolproof. But, the only fool was me, and the proof came when I left the manuscript for 6 months and then tidied it up again ready for my paid proofreader (essential).

Mistakes!?

I honestly thought that I'd not saved the correct, latest version, and I was looking at an earlier draft. Stephen King says you should leave your manuscript for at least 6 weeks before looking at it again. We do well to listen to the King.

My proofreader was excellent and highlighted a fair number of missed words - about 12! He was also excellent in many other ways. I was astonished, and immensely humbled...and very grateful.

Even after my own amendments of his highlights, I still needed the keen eye of a friend to spot my misuse of the word 'passed' and 'penultimate' before the thing was truly ready (or, as ready as it will ever be).

My advice at the end of this post is - don't trust your own eyes. You read what you want to see. I'm so glad that I relied on 'others' during this fascinating process.

No comments:

Post a Comment