Sunday 16 November 2014

Busman's Holiday in the United Arab Emirates


I love the term, ‘Busman’s holiday.’ People who drive the buses take a holiday, and then end up being passengers on the same buses they drove.

I find myself sitting by the turquoise waters on Saadiyat beach in Abu Dhabi. It’s my birthday and I should be relaxing. I take a pen in hand, and before I know it, I’m plotting and scheming; scrawling little pictures here and there. My seven year old nephew peers over at a sketch of what I have tentatively entitled, ‘The Burdened Oak’, and enquires why I’m spending an hour drawing a gherkin.

Truth is, I find writing a labour of love, and escaping the laptop and resurrecting the notepad has been pure joy. I went two whole days in Abu Dhabi before I was busting to work on some ideas. A couple of ideas really came to the fore, and I had a moment in a museum in authentic, old Dubai where something just clicked - it just slotted into place. I’ve also being having dreams, and on waking, am reminded of concepts that I really must revisit and stay focused upon. Strange experience that. Could be jet-lag related, but as an author, I'm very appreciative of REM catch-up if this is the end result.

Many thanks to My sis, bro-in-law, and two nephews for a fab-tastic week in the UAE.

JSC



No comments:

Post a Comment