Saturday 11 October 2014

The KDP select Conundrum...?


I’m not sure about KDP select. 

Maybe it works better for more established authors. Maybe it works less well for teen fiction. Sure, I’ve read the testimonies of those who saw it work for them, but one was for a cookbook and the other was for a ‘teach yourself languages’ book. Added to this, KDP select seems to have hit its pinnacle sometime in 2011. Hmmm…

I’m tied in until the 9th November. I have one free ‘giveaway’ day left. Do I use it? Do I leave it? It’s the day before my birthday so I might give everybody a present J

One thing is for certain: If you don’t advertise, nothing, absolutely nothing happens. I haven’t been slack by any means, but I must admit, it’s an awful lot of effort, with a limited set of promotional tools at your disposal.

Thankfully, I’m in this for the long term. I’m not looking for the Powerball approach to writing success. Slow and steady is fine by me. All the while, I’m still sticking to Plan A; write the next in the series…and write it well.

But, even this is proving arduous right now. I’m still loving the writing and the ideas are still coming, but I’m knackered. Totally wiped today.

Teaching and writing are not the most compatible of bed fellows. I felt quite light-headed today after a challenging but rewarding week at my school in SE London. My eyes hurt as I look at the screen and I’m looking forward to the half-term where I can crack on some more with Shelly Clover II. The key to all of this for me is to open up Scrivener and just start typing. Just do it. Let 200 words become 500 or more.  Little and often. Just finished chapter 4.

Quite a frenetic start to the book.  A few of the old-guard already involved. A couple of newbies.

Writing is so much fun. I recommend it.
JSC


No comments:

Post a Comment