Tuesday 21 October 2014

2 days, 7,000 words.

Not sure if this would be classed as ‘prolific’ in writing terms, but certainly by my standards, it’s my largest ever output over a 48 hour period.

I read somewhere, a couple of years ago, that John Boyne wrote the boy in the stripped pyjamas in 36 hours. That’s correct, folks:  36 hours!

Holy Heck…

Robert Muchamore sometimes goes 80+hours without sleeping - and writes like crazy throughout his episodes of insomnia.

Writing is a strange beast. I hit a point yesterday, between the 2000 and 2500 mark, where I just took-off like I was suffering from some form of mania. I’m not bi-polar, at least, not to the best of my knowledge, but it was closest I’ve ever come to a moment of euphoric creativity. Even now, I’ve written the next scene in my head, and while I’m outside gunning down a malboro light, I’m thinking, let’s get back to the laptop and write another 1,000…and then another. Also, I’m doing the maths: 10 days x 3000 words = 30,000 words. 40 days x 3000 words = 1st draft of a 120,000 word sequel completed. That’s just over a month to finish a book.

I think for me, for now anyway, I’ll just enjoy the 7,000 word PB; realize that this isn’t a sustainable or realistic output, and enjoy the moment.

Good night everybody.
I’m happy to report, I don’t currently suffer from Insomnia.

JSC

No comments:

Post a Comment