Thursday 20 August 2015

The ‘Jamming’ approach to novel writing.


Used to be in a band.  Played the bass.  Occasionally, I tried to jam.

When I zipped the case over my bass for the final time in October 2006, I knew my jamming days were over. Throwing dirty nappies out of the window had become my rock n’ roll anarchy.

Sitting back, arms folded, it appears I’m Jamming again. Really didn’t see that coming.

With a burgeoning first draft on my hands, increasingly, I’m likening it to when I recorded myself playing guitar for 45 minutes solid (before turning the old VHS tape cassette over for another 45). Listening back; there’s good bits, promising parts and a good dose of utter tripe.

It’s not that I don’t have an inkling of where I’m heading, I really do; it’s just sometimes that blank page is like picking up a six-string. Tbh, I’ve been quite pleased with the right-brained riffing thus far. When it’s all done and dusted, I’ll be able to dissect the whole story; find the jagged bits, nonsensical  rubbish, and, hopefully at the end, give myself a pat on the back for inspirational bursts of creativity…just like with that cassette.

We shall see anyway.

I actually really look forward to the editing process too. Writing really suits and is immensely fulfilling on many different levels. My left-brain gets tickled with the thought of planning and organising. Making it all fit, making it all work. Editing and re-editing. H.a.p.p.i.n.e.s.s

I’ll keep you all updated.
JSC









No comments:

Post a Comment