Monday 25 May 2015

What's happening Shelly Clover?

Such a long time since I last updated.

I had 43,000 words for book 2 in the can by Christmas. So, what's happening?

Well, I have tonnes of ideas. I have written scenes that surprised me, and I'm quite happy with elements so far. But, I need two or three pieces of the jigsaw puzzle to fall more comfortably into place. The second book has to be at least as good as the first and I am not releasing until I'm satisfied with the quality. How many times have I discovered a band whose first album I loved, and the second one was a disappointment? I don't want to release an average sequel. No way :)

Secondly, My Job! After 15 challenging years in education, I have found a great school. It is - without a shadow of a doubt - the happiest I have ever been in education. Teaching here in the UK is demanding. Stephen King ignored exam papers in his satchel so that he could write...Nooooo way you could do that here in the Brit education system. I am just coming to the end of marking 400 exam papers (sigh). Having said that, I am in a happy teaching environment, and this actually frees me to write in a good mental state, as opposed to - let's say - within in a school where you may get injured 5 times in 4 months (for example).

Thirdly, Money. Supply rates aren't that bad until you hit the holidays! No money... I'm pretty frugal, but the 6 week summer holiday presents a challenge. The costs of editing, proof-reading, covers etc are negated by just trying to survive. Thankfully, this new job means I can start saving for a cover designer who will provide with a bespoke front cover. Any ordinary cover will not do!

Bizarrely, I already know what I want to write for books 3 and 4! It's just this one section of book 2 that's marginally frustrating me. I can't even describe it as writer's block. Nearly at the breakthough, I just know it!

Thanks to all who ave downloaded and read my book. If anyone would like to review it on smashwords, I would be soooo grateful! 215 downloads (on this site) of my life's work for free - No Reviews.

JSC

No comments:

Post a Comment